Originally Posted by buffybr
Although I didn't start hunting until I was in college in the mid '60s, I have had a pretty fantastic hunting life. My first deer was a spike muley buck that I shot in NW Colorado with one of my college roommates. I proudly hung those spike antlers on my college bedroom wall. The next year I again hunting with my roommate and shot my first elk. Back then many hunters left the head and antlers in the woods, but I again proudly hung those 5x5 elk antlers on my wall.

Ten years later I moved to Montana and my hunting opportunities really opened up. Shooting a deer, elk, and antelope every year was almost a given. I had two horses, and packing one or more tent camps into the backcountry every year provided many great hunting memories.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From the late '70s into the '90s I was able to draw a bighorn ram tag and multiple bull moose and mountain goat tags, and I was able to buy an unlimited unit sheep tag almost every year. All of those hunts were DIY and most were solo including 3 of my rams, my goat, and one of my Shiras moose.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then in 1999 I went on my first guided hunt for a Dall ram and a Mountain caribou in the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada's NW Territories. This was a backpack hunt and while my guide and I were packing out my ram I was able to get a Wolverine. A very memorable hunt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iYV4nUQm.jpg[/img]

To be continued....

I bet that goat was the hardest earned...