Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
In my neck of the woods, 150-200lb deer are not big deer. A 243 is my minimum on deer when shots will stretch to 400 and beyond. I'm sure 22 cal bullets would work, particularly the long, heavy ones being made nowadays, but I am more comfortable shooting deer with 22 cals out to 350, tops. Any problems I've had with 243 on deer out to 400 have been my shooting error, and not the performance of the bullet. I use bullets of at least 100 grains with at least a decent BC. I've used the same setup when deer have popped up closer, under 50 yards. It was even more effective. I've shot coyotes and rock chucks, but no foxes, with the same setup, with quite dramatic results. Bullets have been Nosler Partitions, Hornady BTSP, Speer BTSP, Hornady A-max, Hornady BTHP. Maybe a few others, but I don't recall. There may be better options that are lighter. That's just what I used.

+1

I've used the 105 AM and Horn BTHP a bunch, and they both have worked well, though the AM is softer. But at close range (< 300 yards) I am a fan of the 80gr TTSX.