.30-30, always. Even though I live in a shotgun zone (recently changed to follow the straight wall craze), I never hunt here except occasionally during the primitive weapons season (notice I didn't say "muzzle loader season"- inlines make a mockery of the original intent of that, but is a discussion for another day). I journey a couple hours to haunt "the deer woods" and wouldn't think of taking a shotgun, no matter how efficient they and their ammunition have become. Old habits and attitudes die hard, I suppose. Besides, I like the .30-30 a lot, especially if in platforms other than M94's and 336's.

The .30-30 is extremely versatile in terms of feeding - I load everything from 100 grain cast lead plinkers at pistol velocity up to 190 grain flat nosed cast lead stompers that exceed factory jacketed performance, and everything in between including some jacketed stuff. .30-30 accuracy off the bench is top notch if employed in the proper platform. And it'll even kill a deer. A 20 gauge with rifled barrel pales in comparison in those regards which I guess is the real reason I would opt for the .30-30 over it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty