The
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WAM,

I have also published articles and book chapters about the problem with making accuracy judgments on 3-shot groups. Among other things, a professional statistician I'm acquainted with calculated that the average point-of-impact from several 3-shot groups will vary around .7 inch at 100 yards, which doesn't help much when calculating downrange spin-drift.

Will also note that Elmer Keith, who did quite a bit of long-range target shooting, and what was considered long-range big game hunting back in his day, preferred to sight-in his long-range hunting rifles 3 inches high at 100 yards--and half an inch to the left, to compensate for spin-drift with a typical RH twist barrel.

Agreed. I have read as much of your fine works as possible but don’t recall anything on spindrift. As I am familiar with artillery and naval gunfire characteristics, I understand spindrift. I just never gave it much thought to high velocity rifle trajectory at modest ranges since I don’t like to shoot much past 300 yards at game. But since I now have a 6.5-300 Weatherby, perhaps I should visit the spindrift effect for out to 500 yards or less. Any further insight or suggestions would be most welcome! Steve

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.