Originally Posted by Valsdad

But, are the Danes hoping to go for an "economy of scale" type of thing? And it would seem they are going for control of their power needs, self reliance and all that. Perhaps worth some extra cost?

Energy independence is a big motivating factor, as is providing a proving ground for their domestic industry. The Danes export a LOT of wind turbines, and having a big show case of the things helps sell. And they do love selling.

The hydrogen thing, in my opinion is a pipe dream borne out of group think. The electricity part makes enough sense I won't quibble. Off shore wind is still relatively expensive, but when your other options are importing natural gas from Putin or the Middle East?

Besides, they are feeling terribly guilty about all the money they are making selling oil from their North Sea fields, and I think this project helps assuage their collective national guilt. Kinda like the Norwegian government decided to basically offer enough tax credits that anyone that bought an electric car did so at nearly zero cost. All of a sudden, 54% of sales were electric cars? Who would have thunk it? Meanwhile, keep pumping, baby!

Sic Semper Tyrannis