That’s a good question.
If I had those kind of funds and skill set as you pointed out, I would have a hard time making that choice.
F-4’s in my opinion, are one of the sexiest jets ever built. I loved seeing them fly over when I was a kid. Loud and smoky and cold war cool.
Vampires are neat. They kind’ve resemble a P-38 in a jet configuration. They just look nimble.
F-86’s are sleek and beautiful. They look fun to fly.
Out of the ones you mentioned, I believe I would pick the A-7.
They always appealed to me as did it’s older brother the Crusader.
When I was a boy, my uncle lived at the head of a big valley that was probably four miles long. A-7’s from the Indiana ANG would come smoking up that valley right at the tops of the trees. Sometimes the pilot would kind’ve turn to port and we could see him for an instant. They were not moving at quite the speed of the F-16’s that later replaced them but they had more of a cool factor.
Last summer, we painted for an older gentleman that was retired from USAF.
The first four years he flew F-100’s and then transferred to C-130’s the rest of his career. I asked about the handling problems and he said he never had a problem with them. He just said it was a “hotrod” and you had to treat it with respect or it could get you into trouble. He was an interesting guy.
They are a awesome jet though. IIRC, the problems were mainly on take-offs and landings. I think Indiana ANG flew them up until 1978 or something like that.
I know they flew a ton of close air support in Vietnam and may even hold the record for sorties in that conflict. That may not be correct. I would have to research that cause’ it’s been a while.
Anyway, it would be the A-7 for me Idaho.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 02/17/21.