Thanks Pal! For bringing this Thread back to the forefront. I'd missed a bunch of nice rifles as new Threads ever coming quickly and as quickly fading in the sunset! Your 56 Featherweight is indeed pretty much exemplary of the classic fifties era Winchester! As the 30-06, 270 Win, entire Model 54 & Model 70 wide 'the chamberings'! Considerably moreso than any other chambering across production from mid twenties to well beyond the "pre" series 70 demise. Your 'dang upstart' modern .243 Win, quite likely the game changer and 'best fifties era representation' of the newer Winchester offerings . Just my opine.

160user, we seem to be of the same Model 70 'clan'. I prefer the prewar editions too, but do include the early postwar as a continuation of that quality until prewar components supplies ran out. The clip-slot receiver of the non-magnum models into postwar, a definite clue! Quality of workmanship, definitely there and unmatched. While the safety lever orientation was scope-interference reduced in postwar editions and bit friendlier bottom metal release, the prewars still shine in notable features as the integral forged front sight ramp. Notably also carried into the early post era too! While my Super Grade 338 Win Mag Posting in a Thread above suggests; not to kick a pretty face late bloomer out of bed. smile

Below, sharing something of an exception to my general practice of not buying into customized 'pre' 70ies. German stationed soldier in early fifties acquiring this Model 70 in the Post Exchange; restocked prior to returning home bearing it. Reflecting something of European influence. Yet somehow to me, missing the real Euro-classic styling-essence! Acquired with story couple of decades ago, from a Model 70 collector purist, seeking quick sale @ $400. In 270 Win & great condition. Honorable mention to my 'other' 'pre' 70 models of earlier days. Several 1937 models, a '40 in 300 H&H and couple of '42 models. Two perhaps matching your Stith scoped rifle, of which one with a Lyman Alaskan scope other ancient Weaver. Several other Stith mounts in use as well as one or two yet in-box.

I really prefer the Lyman 48 receiver sights. Never to inlet for such, but preferring to buy guns with them in place. Of course, the last sub-design Lyman 48, around the stock contour rather than inletting! Great idea, just coming late. Below my Euro-Win70

Best & Stay Safe!

Attached Images
R401-2.jpg (26.63 KB, 423 downloads)
R401-3U.jpg (24.36 KB, 427 downloads)
R401-10U.jpg (18.28 KB, 412 downloads)