I need some others thoughts on this as I may not be considering all I need to make an informed decisions.

I have 300 win mag with 25" bbl that is magnaported. I'm thinking of cutting it to 22" and adding a brake (maybe saving some weight and gaining some ease of handling). I wear electronic protection when hunting anyway so that is not a consideration (I think?). Is this an exercise in futility and waste of money?

I love the round and like to have stuff DRT. I reload 4064 and R17 so don't run it hot. I hunt deer and elk, but like I like to see DRT's. I don't think I'd get that with a lesser round but am trying to minimize recoil as I get older.

I also have a 6.5 PRC I like and load 129 ABLR's but have not killed anything but a large buck. I don't know that I'd get similar results on elk so am reluctant to use it solely and quit using the 300 (thereby negating this whole thing).

Both rifles are accurate, and I've been shooting for 60+ years and hit what I aim at without any undue excitement. I stay within 600 yds on game.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mac284338; 02/26/21.