Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Do not know about that, RC.

I do like and use many of the heat shrink butt splices, but never had one that self solders.

Another automotive product I love, seeing as I am usually driving a rig closing in on 30 years old. I use solder pellets from NAPA to replace battery cable ends. Just cut off the original end behind any corrosion. Put a solder pellet inside a terminal lug. Insert clean bare copper cable. Then heat with a propane torch until the pellet melts.

I have not had one fail yet repaired in this manner. Then I use a battery post to marine adapter on the battery. From that point on, all it takes is a quick turn of a couple wing nuts to release a battery.

This conversion is especially desirable on old Chevys with crappy side connectors.

IS,
Have you ever built up a degraded terminal?

I hate to cut away cast-on terminals, especially if you are limited on wire length.
I never thought to build one up with solder...but I have mashed pulled bullets into a shim.

No, I have not tried to add lead to the terminal. I do not gave the tools to do a job like that.

Growing up on the farm. Having 50 year old tractors around and equipment like hay swathers which only get started six or eight times per year, there are ample opportunities to repair battery cables.

Most commonly used are the terminals which simply clamp to the end of the copper cable. They are okay for temporary repairs, but seldom last beyond several years.

The soldered lugs are far superior.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.