Originally Posted by ironbender
Bernie has done a lot with CHS. I remember when it was just a little rock pool.

Me too.

Especially if you speak Japanese.

Funny story from 2019 Xmas trip up there. We went out to soak in CHS with my nephew and his wife, Alba. It was 35 below outside. Nippon lady took Alba's towel, and when confronted, went to jabbering in Japanese, pretending she had no English. She did - we had heard it.

Big mistake! No one does Spanish invective better than a pissed off red-headed Columbian!

Hell, I was looking for an exit! smile
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OP -Seward is beautiful during the 3 days yearly it ain't raining. Take the glacier cruise- you can also fish salt-water silvers in late August and September, halibut most any time.

Hike up the Carter Lake Trail with binocs - it's gorgeous up there. You might see bears, or sheep. At/near Seward Y (Tern Lake) glass both sides of the valley. Sheep and goats are usually visible. Spotting scope is very useful.

At Sunrise (when you first hit Kenai lake coming from Anchorage, there are usually sheep to be seen in the closed area on the north side (right). There is a parking lot there that has telescopes - or used to.

In Seward, you could hike or boat to Caine's Head - A WWII fort, We walked the beach down (low tide!) and took the water taxi back last summer. 7 miles, part of it on trails, part on the beach. Taking the taxi both ways makes it a shorter hike - 1.5 miles IIRC. You could take a pack along and overnight along the beach in places if you wish.

Last edited by las; 02/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.