Rimfire Artist wrote:
"Nothing oddball, I just at times shoot long range so I like to position my scope so that I have about 90% of the total elevation adjustment available for cranking my POI up. Starting with a 20- or 25-moa base and the Burris insert rings, I know I will be able to easily get there, while at the same time having my windage well-centered. Use any other ring I will almost always have to compromise one or both."

Are you saying that you have a 20 or 25 MOA base on all your scoped rifles and then you use Burris rings to further bring down the elevation turret to just above the bottom of the scope?

And you do this because you occasionally may take a long shot?

I have to ask, at what distance do you shoot the most? With that setup, you are way out of the scope's sweet spot at 100 and 200 yards. If you shoot a lot at that distance you are making yourself no favors.

I try to adjust my setup so that it matches the use of the rifle. For instance, my most heavily used rifle is my Match FTR rifle geared for 1000 yards. On that rifle I have a combination of 20 MOA canted rail and Burris XTR rings so that the scope is at mechanical zero, and in the optical sweet spot for maximum IQ, at 1000 yards.

On other rifles I have a 20MOA rail and regular rings to be in the sweet spot from 300 to about 600 yards. I can go down to 100 yards but rarely do that.

On yet other rifles, I have no cant.

I like IQ and I try to maximize it to match my shooting,

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 03/02/21.