Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by Rolly
Years ago I was looking for a bolt gun in 30-30 Winchester for just the same reason. Sorry, but I forgot who used to make the rifles but they were around and pretty cheap.

Savage Stevens 340/325

They show up on gunbroker pretty regularly and I was going to get one but unfortunately they aren't that cheap anymore, most that are anywhere above total beater grade are bringing $400 or more and one in very good shape sold for over $500 a month or so ago.

I looked at them and figured if I was going to spend that much then go ahead and pop for a Remington 788. Those are really not cheap anymore and especially in .30-30. But I found a good shooter grade for a middle of the road price and got the notice that it was shipped this morning. Have had bunches of .30-30 lever actions but wanted to try it in a bolt action for a few reasons - accuracy with cast bullets mainly plus the ability to use my good stock of jacketed .30 caliber spitzers in various weights.

Reason for this thread is that I retire at the end of this month and will have 24/7 to play around with stuff, so even though the latest toy isn't in my hot little hands yet I already got my eye out for the one after that... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!