I've had many Krags, most sporterized, but they were all good cast bullet shooters. I still have a Ruger #3 in .30-40 and a reproduction '95 Winchester in the same.

However, .30-40 brass is probably much harder to find than .308 or .30-06. The long case neck and nostalgia probably do more to sell Krags than anything else, but I prefer a .308 or .30-06. The Krag cartridge offers no real advantage over either in the way of accuracy or anything else, unless you're using a very long bullet and don't want to seat it below the case neck. I think case capacity of the .30-40 and .308 is about the same. Any modern .308 or .30-06 is also going to be built on a considerably stronger action than the one-lug Krag.

Because of its case capacity (and possibly neck length), the .30-30 cartridge might be the best of the bunch if you can find a good bolt-action. However, there aren't a lot of choices here, and some of them like a Model 54 Winchester or even a Remington 788 in good shape may cost more than many are willing to spend.

Last edited by lotech; 03/22/21.