Here's the 788 in .30-30 I got. After owning several lever actions I already had Lee and Redding dies for it, a couple hundred flat and round nose jacketed bullets, two suitable cast bullet molds with a bunch already cast up plus about 400 cases both new and once fired. Maybe if we ever get back to pre-SHTF prices and availability of all things shooting related I might get more esoteric in cartridge choices but for now the tried and true - and on hand - seemed to be the best route.

Looked at a couple Model 54's and they sure are fine rifles from the days when fine rifles were the rule and not the exception but just too many issues trying to get it scoped. This was definitely expensive compared to what they originally sold for although not nearly as much as some have brought recently and a nice bonus was that it came with a steel Lyman 66 with target knobs which is a good hundred dollars added value, especially since my eventual plan was to mount a peep sight on it anyway. This one was made in December of 1967 so it's a first year production. The replacement stock is pure 60's kitsch with the white line spacers but it's a decent piece of walnut and has very good ergonomics. Wasn't looking for a collector or a showpiece, just a good practical shooter. Besides, it's a 788 - you could put it in a red dress and a blonde wig and it still wouldn't be pretty. wink

Have only had it out once for initial load workup with a TLC311 which is a 165 grain flat nose Ranch Dog design, but already a load of 748 giving 2150 fps and a middlin' load of 2400 at 1850 are showing real promise. When the wind/rain/typical Idaho spring weather give a break I have some loads with IMR4198 and IMR4895 to try as well.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!