I gave up my FFL 3-4 yrs ago. When you call in a NICS check, they asked you the type of firearm. For an example, your reply would be long gun. No Mfg, no model, serial# nor caliber. When the call was completed you were given an NCIS CHECK # which was recorded on your disposition record and 4473.
I spoke to an ATF agent asking questions about what records I needed to send in and where. I had to send in all my 4473’s in numerical order, all copies of FFL’s from wholesalers as well as other FFL’s that I may have acquired guns from or made transfers for them, and all my acquisition and disposition records which we bound and in numerical order.

I asked him how the can possibly have enough room to store all this paper work. He told me that every document that come in get pictures taken and filed digitally. I never had to send any paper work to them until I let my license expire.

Yes, they can track who has what guns, with either some work or more than likely a lot of high tech. If push comes to shove, possibly in the future, they may want records on a regular basis in their hands
QM

Last edited by Quartermaster; 03/07/21.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"