Originally Posted by gunzo
What kind of measurements are seen on the average or current Winchester, Ruger, Bergara, Tikka etc. actions ?

What are baseline measurements or averages for a production, middle priced hunting rifle action?

So far I have only logged remingtons, but the guy that taught me how to measure them right said most factory actions are 1-3 thousands out of coaxial, and or angled... they are different measures.

The way you measure them it to dial in the action using an mandrel and bushings so the raceways are prefectly straight.
Then you measure the shoulder flatness
Then you measure the lug surfaces for flatness & taper, and height
Then you use a REALLY small ball on the end of an indicator, put the lathe in threading (engage the half nut) and spin the chuck by hand to measure the thread bearing surface as it rotates (off center), and as you spin the chuck and it chases the threads you often see the needle top and bottom vary which shows you how crooked the thread is to the race.

I’ll start logging of the ones I pull anymore now.. measuring the threads is a bugger if you haven’t had someone teach how to do it the easy way.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/09/21.