Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Based on my experience with a double rifle version in 9.3x74R I think they are excellent value. I had no difficulty regulating the two barrels to shoot such that the top barrel's groups were just above those of the bottom barrel, as they should be, using the jack-screw a the midpoint of the barrels. Combined groups of about 2 1/2" at 100 metres (about 2 moa) - more than accurate enough for big game - but each individual barrel was a good deal more accurate than that. The bores are hard chromed too, which is a big plus.

I have found the rifle to be good handling and reliable, and have shot a good bit of game with it including running pigs and buffalo. The triggers are easily fettled if you find a gunsmith who knows what he is doing, and when I had mine done I had the safety converted to non-automatic too.

The top dovetail suits rimfire type rings. I used steel, lever release ones from Lynx, and they work well. For a combination I'd suggest a 1.5 - 6x or something like that. I've found this magnification range works perfectly on combinations and my drilling - 1.5x is low enough to use the shotgun effectively even on flushed birds.

HTH

They made a big mistake not exporting them in 9,3X74R to the USA. It would have sold well, but they thought if iy ain't a 'murrican round we wouldn't recognize it or buy it.

I looked everywhere for the 9,3 DR. I had two in 45-70 and played with them out of curiosity. They're so light they kick like a mule, but they worked OK and were easily regulated. The 12/7X57R BBF I had was pretty OK, not Bond Street, but serviceable and accurate.

Winchester advertised the 101 Grand European combination and O/U rifles in 9.3x74R. I recall seeing one of each. Bearrr264 bought one of the combination guns from L.L. Cote in Errol, NH, when we were in graduate school. I don't remember much about it, other than he sold it to some upscale gun shop in East Lyme, CT. I think that the shotgun barrel shot fine, but the limited variety of factory ammo was a problem. IIRC, the 101 combination guns didn't have any way to regulate the barrels, so that might have been the root cause, not the ammo.

BTW, my buddy who has the NIB IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 said that he'd sell it through me for $700 shipped and insured to 47 U.S. States, all buy AK, CA, and HI.

Yes, I've seen the odd example of the Winchester DR and combination here in Oz too. I like the 101 action - had a Pigeon Grade 12 ga for years myself, and I've used a few others.The combination and DR versions were very nicely finished, but IIRC they suffered poor regulation, and of course it was not adjustable. I remember reading somewhere that it was set without test firing. They were also at a price point well above that of the Baikal of course.