Originally Posted by 1minute
Fewer every year with lots turning to ashes when we get a landscape level wildfire.

Up here large older farms when sold off many times the older buildings are pushed up into burn piles. The connection to that piece of land is just not there with the new owners. Hopefully over time some can be saved.

I find the workmanship on these old structures incredible to think on for how they made, tools used, design, where the materials (logs) came from. Squares, strings, levels, hand saws, axes -- no power tools.

Some of these homes (grey 2 story below) are in aspen only areas so the logs were hauled in from quite a distance. Buildings at times started small based on what the man / men could build for that season (2nd picture) and then larger homes were built over time in new and better locations. I know where there is a very remote home built from field stone and will try to get back in there this summer. It was built and abandoned in a period of time less than 10 years. Very harsh conditions back then to make a living and raise a family. Injuries or illness --- who knows but the site was walked away from. Very good workmanship on the home so obviously a person that knew stone work.

All pictures are from roads and some at quite a distance as we do not tresspass.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one has an interesting history as it was converted to a 2 story pig barn at some point in its past. The animal chute to the 2nd level is evident, same for the added wall vents and the larger central exhaust duct.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hugh