We use Photoshop, Paint, Topaz, or our Canon digital camera software to downsize originals and convert the files to jpg formats. Makes uploading to the various server sites a much quicker deal as well. If one thinks of a digital image as a spread sheet with each block filled with color and intensity data for each pixel, today's huge images are a boatload of data. Cookie's images that I post here are about 90% smaller than her original Canon raw files coming up at about 1040 x 655.

The images I upload to Postimage are typically at a 1920 x 1200 resolution as that's the pixel count for my computer screen. Most PC screens have about 72 pixels per linear inch, and images exceeding that resolution are watered down to fit the display anyway. The CampFire software resizes those images further, probably to speed up data flow.

High resolution images mostly come into their own when being printed given that todays machines can handle 600+ pixels per linear inch.

Being old, I can recall early Windows days when an 800 X 640 image would take 5 minutes to render. We've come a long way.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/07/21.

1Minute