Leighton;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and all who matter in your life are well.

Here in south central BC we'll hear that pretty regularly starting in late January and going on into early April.

Since it's coinciding with the rut more or less, I've always felt it was locator calls more than anything else. I'd say a sort of dating app for them, you know?

While we've called them in hunting a few times in February, I can't recall hunting them into March, but there's no reason not to, just life got in the way for other spring stuff by that time.

When they're being territorial, they'll bark more along with the howling or at least our western ones do. If I want to bring in one earlier in the year, I'll start with a few aggressive barks followed by some long howls - this after about 3 minutes of dying rabbit screams.

Anyways, that's my guess and it is only that sir. I can't really say I know what I'm saying when I call them in, I more or less attempt to mimic what I hear at that time of year.

All the best to you all my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"