Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
They made a big gun theft bust at UPS Memphis a few years back IIRC.

This was at their main facility on brooks Road in southwest Memphis near the airport. With a a little inside help they knew which trailer to snatch and either stole a truck off the lot or brought one (can't remember which). They drive it through a fence if I recall and headed straight to Chicago which is where they were from. Fortunately the ATF had quick knowledge of it and caught them before they were able to distribute the guns in Chicago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-facility-memphis-atf-warns/1498314002/

Employees at the FedEx hub in Memphis go through metal detectors both coming in and going out of the property. There have been some high profile thefts there over the decades, of the largest I can remember was the theft of the high value bags on a flight coming in from Amsterdam (I believe it was) on Dec. 23, 1995. Full of diamonds and gold. A crew rolled up on a tug right as the plane stopped and proceeded to unload the bags in the front cargo hold near the front landing gear. It was brutally cold that night with sleet/snow so everybody was wearing face masks anyway. About 5 minutes later the proper crew showed up to unload and freaked out when the pilots told them someone had already unloaded it. The bad guys high-tailed it east across the property and tried to drive the tug through the fence on Tchulahoma Road. Tug got stuck in the fence so they threw the bags over and managed to get away with most of them. Within 24 hours one of the thieves was already dead, one of the crew turned on him and shot him. They caught the rest and recovered the stolen goods.

I was working for FedEx at the time and this was back when they would ask all employees to volunteer to work nights in the hub to help with the Christmas rush. Amazing how much simpler things were back then before 9/11. I was a computer programmer during the day and worked the Omaha outbound 727 at night. I remember standing under the right wing of a 727 long-body trying to stay out of the rain/sleet/snow with the APU roaring away. That is where I was when the cll came out about the theft. All hell broke loose then, "Freddies" and Memphis police everywhere. Freddies are what we called FedEx security, armed guards which was almost exclusively former Memphis or Shelby County police who got cush jobs at FedEx. I miss those days of free jump seats anywhere in the world on a FedEx plane.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff