Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I think Dave runs a multimillion dollar company, I would think that he's had a team of very good lawyers write his employment contracts. I also believe this woman would have stayed employed if she turned in a marriage license with her FMLA paperwork. My question if she's willing to have someones baby she's in a committed relationship with, why is she unwilling to get married?

And sometimes employers do some amazingly stupid things.

Back in the 70s and 80s we had a local motorcycle sales and service center called "Honda of Caldwell". They habitually worked their employees 9 hr days and six days a week.

My buddy was quite a good wrench turner, was 19 years old, married with one kid. He needed a job badly. He went to work at the Honda Shop. The shop had their employees over a barrel. Employment was extremely tough to find in those days.

Anyway, my buddy worked at the shop for about four years. And then one day the Dept of Labor showed up with some hand trucks and a van to haul away all of the company's filing cabinets.

The store manager tried to block the door and attempted to keep DOL from taking the filing cabinets. DOL said "Fine, your choice. We will chain your doors closed and you will be out of business until our investigation is done. Maybe six months. Maybe years."

The store manager got out of their way.

It seems that some one had notified the DOL that this shop was not paying 1.5X rate on overtime. The crew was working 50 to 55 hour weeks at straight time.

The shop owner claimed that he did not owe anybody a dime. He claimed that every employee knew pay practices at hiring.

Several months later, DOL came back to the shop with a list of employees and back wages owed. DOL went back in excess of twenty years and forced the shop to pay people who had been gone for many years.

The store manager walked around the shop with a hand full of checks. He told the crew: "DOL says we have to write these checks. But they do not say you have to take them or cash them. You guys know in your heart what is right."

The idiot was actually surprised when every employee eagerly grabbed what was legally due to him.

The state of Utah did something similar. They made all their RNs including myself work 56 hours one week and 24 the next. They paid by the hour but never paid time and a half for any overtime even when you were forced to work extra shifts. One day some nurses went to management to demand overtime. They were supposedly told to keep their mouths shut if they ever wanted to work in Utah again because the state issues their nursing license.

They lied to me when I started and told me they paid time and a half. They also said they would pay my student loans off after I worked there a year. After a year I found out they lied about that too so I quit. They still owe me a bunch for overtime pay. Especially when you consider I had a second job and UofU hospital and was working an average of 60-72 hours a week between both jobs and they were both for the state. Working for the state of Utah was the only time I felt like I needed a union.

Bb