84th Mtn, Thanks for the reply, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had serious criticism of the the Sauer.
Some random thoughts and observations on the 8x57. CFE 223 and it's twin BLC-2 are the clear velocity winners with adequate hunting accuracy in my near half century of the 8x57. For long brass life ie, low pressure nothing comes close (I believe that 748 is from the same gene pool although I've never tried it). Vast majority of my experimentation has been with light to medium weight bullets, the various 150 gr bullets of course all worked well in a number of rifles, with good performance when driven at 2900 or so, under 200 yard kills. 160 gr all copper, still testing, good accuracy though. Stepping up to 170 Speers, no surprises, a good cup and core choice, reliable at normal ranges. 175 Sierra, well, accurate as hell but it is a tough bullet and needs to be driven at top velocities, I got some 'through and through' experiences, yes, the deer died but maybe the bullet is still going. I now use it only in the 8mm-06. The old Remington Core Lokt 185, or at least the ones I have is another tough bullet, too tough for wimpy impact velocities. Just some of my experiences. I suspect that some of the 8mm bullet offerings came on the market about the time the 8mm Rem Mag was being introduced, so the bullets may be a little on the tough side, still killers yes, but I worry about getting 2 for 1 screwups on the bullets that exit the game. If I could have but one bullet, at typical ranges and velocities, I would pick the humble 170 Speer because I avoid drama. It just works.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.