Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by T_Inman
None taken, at ALL, especially since I have such little experience with them. I am not totally recommending it, just saying I wouldn't have an issue with using it, and I have that much confidence in the round. Aoudad just are not big critters. The ewes looked not much bigger than antelope to me. Whatever works for deer, should work for them.

You already answered your own question to my post. Wind and distance in West TX aoudad country is the reason I choose otherwise. No doubt you can kill them with a good .223 bullet in close. Big rams will weigh near 300 lbs or so, mature ewes about 150-175 IME.

I have Aoudad on my deer lease that I can shoot at will. I've killed with 26 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, 7 mag, 308 Win, 30-06 and 9.3 x 62

142 to 250 Gr, Bullets.

The only one I've lost was a stud. Here is one of a sequence of game camp photos taken two years before I had the opportunity to take a shot at this guy!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IIRC I ranged him at 408 yds. Shot him cross canyon with at 150 Gr. Accubond out of a 308 Win. Felt good about the shot. Saw him hunch up at the shot, and run straight down the side of the hill. It was an hour before dark and I had no marker as to point of impact. I did not find him that night, or the next couple days, and I spent hours looking. I continued to look for the hide or horns for a couple months to no avail.

IMHO, I can't imagine why a hunter that may pay $4,500 to hunt an Aoudad Ram would choose anything less than a 6.5 mm. Chances are, if you draw blood you're paying for the animal. If it were me, I'd go heavy!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/21/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.