Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I wish MRC had stuck to (or gone back to) just supplying gunsmith ready actions. Unfortunately they kept getting dinged by folks that were expecting the actions to be finished.

Yep.

Their original intent was to supply controlled-feed actions to custom gunsmiths, who'd modify them slightly for whatever cartridge the customer chose. The design was a combination of the best Model 70 and Mauser 98 features--especially 98 gas-handling. It was NOT just a Model 70 clone, and offered quite a bit for the money.

But non-gunsmith customers kept buying them and finding they often didn't feed the cartridge they barreled them to very well. This was not the fault of the design--though MRC could have been better at communicating with customers, especially BEFORE buying an action. But quite a few good gunsmiths are relatively poor at customer service.

Yes, Keith and Jeff's original intent was for custom gunsmiths. However, one of their initial salesmen was not adverse to selling snake oil. He emphatically stated that MRC sold completely finished products. After a couple phone conversations with him I bought a barreled action chambered in 350 Rem Mag from them from their charter offerings. The action was trued by them, but the rails and feeding needed some work. I found out later that he had been let go for providing inaccurate information to customers. A local SW Michigan gunsmith cleaned it up for me and bedded it in a Win 70 Bell & Carlson stock (limited M1999 stock options at the time). I used it to take an AK black bear in 2005. I carried it for a few years after moving to AK the following year, but sold it as it was heavier than I prefer.

Last edited by JimInAK; 03/21/21.