Originally Posted by Slope77

Another thing - I’ve been saying this since Bush I - why don’t we source low cost production from Latin America Instead of China? Stimulating those economies would reduce the immigration problem and they aren’t commies. Well, other than Cuba and Venezuala, anyway.

The primary reason is that Central America is too corrupt. It's so ingrained in their being, that I don't see a way around it. A few Ford or Chevy factories here and there, sure, but compared to the likes of China? No. The corruption is at every level from the lowest foreman to the highest in government. Companies could in no way make profits from Central America when so much product and $$$ are leaking from the operation at every level (at least not as much profit as they can make from the Chicoms).

I think it would be great for our cheap manufacturing come from Central America... it would be good for them, and good for us (decent economy down there, keeps them down there). However, I don't see it happening any time soon, despite previous attempts re: NAFTA, etc.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.