Originally Posted by GunGeek
I just don't recommend revolvers for new defensive shooters. For sport shooters, they're fine, but for defense, they just come with too much baggage.

If you don't have the hand strength to cycle a slide, then a DA trigger action is going to be a big challenge also...Too hard to rack the slide, choose a different pistol (something like Shield EZ).
Recoil management in a semi-auto is much better. Grip shapes tend to be better (and more grip shapes to choose from).
For carry revolvers are typically a touch too heavy, or too light. Too heavy and they tend to get left home. Too light, and they can't handle the recoil.
Revolvers also have very a short sight radius, coupled with a long, heavy, trigger pull which tends to pull those sights off target.

I would only recommend a revolver after the auto pistol options have been exhausted.

Well put.

We know that it is not the tool, but the operator that makes the difference. If you're dealing with someone who whines about not being able to rack the slide on a Glock, then they won't handle a revolver any better. Tell them to make up their mind as to whether they want to live or die - cause it is their choice.

It is tempting to chase down the perfect weapon for someone who doesn't take their defense seriously. But I've come to the conclusion that it is a waste of time. IMHO of course.