Kenneth,

Savannah is a beautiful historic city. I was stationed at Hunter and also at Stewart. There is some decent deer hunting on Hunter. Stewart is absolutely polluted with wild hogs and you can hunt them year round. There is decent deer hunting too. There are at least a dozen ponds for fishing on Stewart and some of them hold some really nice bass. The Savannah National Wildlife refuge is also full of hogs.

I’m not going to lie, the humidity is bad, especially when you are doing physical training. The area is also infested with sand gnats that come out only when it’s pleasant, not when it’s real hot or real cold. The gnats come out in clouds and land on your skin and give you a little bite that itches- but when there is hundreds of them doing it it can be very miserable. Lots of salt water fishing. Tybee island is nice. Beaufort SC is a nice town that is close by as well as Hilton Head- all those places have sand gnats when the temps are right, but he will have much less problems with them in the cities than he will while conducting PT or being out in the field- especially close to any marshy areas. Tell him to take a bus tour of Savannah when he gets there. There is just so much to see in that city and a good start is simply taking a tour.

Tell him thank you for his service. I used to be the prosecutor for the Ranger battalion there and can assure you they are a different breed!