Originally Posted by saddlegun
I'm supposed to respect this man because he married someone for a lucrative income?
- He had plenty of other choices. He just took the easy one.
- Studied and learned? So what? Why does that merit anyone's respect for living off the public dole?
- Took responsibility? For what?
- Served in the Armed Forces? All Royals do that. Only a few actually place themselves at risk. He never did. His role was symbolic.
- Married a girl he loved? One who just happened to come with a life of luxury and a huge income for very little effort.
- Performed for 70 years as a husband and public figure? I agree that it was a performance, and he was an actor, who was paid "royally" for his role.Like all Royals, he accomplished nothing more than to be part of an anachronism that served as a tradition and a tourist attraction. It did bring in a lot of money for England though, so he earned his acting stipend I suppose.
I have no idea about what you are "supposed" to respect or do with regard to the man, and have to wonder why you would think anyone here is trying to tell you what to do. Your suppositions and personal needs do not form any basis for rational and objective discussion. Obviously you are free here to state whatever opinions you wish and make proclamations about the man, even if replete with baseless assumptions and errors. But, how silly to base that on a pretense that someone told you what you should respect.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron