I was already out of the Army when Vietnam blew up, was never in any combat, so make no claim to knowing "how it was" in Vietnam. I will say, however, that the movie Platoon, was written and directed by Oliver Stone, who joined the Army and served in Vietnam for 1½ tours with the 25th Inf., and the 1st Cav. He was a LRRP. Bronze Star V, and two purple hearts.

I saw a picture of him when he'd just come back from a mission and I know that the combat vets here would instantly recognize that "1,000 yard stare" in his eyes.

I've seen Stone interviewed about Platoon and he stated that some of what he wrote and filmed was a combination of several soldiers he knew, including the character "Sgt. Barnes." Events were put together from different Vietnam areas where he served to make a particular scene more "interesting."

War movies, no matter which war, are unable to ever capture "the real thing" totally. As mentioned, they are written and filmed as entertainment, not for documentaries.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)