Originally Posted by 41rem
Pure ballistic discussion if packing a 4” M_18 loaded with CCI stingers, what advantages will a similar 4” K frame M_48 loaded with 22 magnum hollow points offer?

BTW my M_18 will hold 2” groups @ 25m rested with Stingers, always been slightly interested in a M_48 or 648...🤔

Your question seems more academic than practical. No matter how you slice it, ballistically speaking the .22 mag is always going to have an edge.

The more interesting question is...Do you ACTUALLY need that edge? What do you expect to be shooting at? Do you think a .22 magnum will make a meaningful difference in the field?

I always ended up selling my .22 magnums because they're not dramatically more powerful than a .22LR. Meaning, it doesn't really open up shots at larger game, and doesn't really add up to longer range shots from a 4" open sight revolver.

For me, if I expect I'll be shooting at game that is beyond a .22LR, I just switch to a centerfire. My S&W 617 and my Python drop into the same holster, so I just switch to that.

So there's the practical side. Now to the impractical side...

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY THE M48!!! Why, because you've always wanted one, and they're damn cool!