I'd call him. I have and he's easy to talk to and helpful.

With an '06 length action, I'd say 338-06 or 35 Whelen.

He did a Pre-64 M-70 Fwt .243 that was shot out. Turned it into a .358 Win. As posted before, it was a bit rough looking thru the Hawkeye, fouled easily. But, the hole was perfectly drilled, very uniform, no tight spots,. After shooting it a while, cleaning after shooting, then with DBC treatment, it's settled down and is a decent shooter. And, fouling isn't a problem. It's a 12 twist, which I would recommend, but seems to prefer lighter bullets. It'll shoot .75" to 1 1/2" groups at a hundred. MOA not a problem with bullets it likes. For the price, it's a good deal, IMO.

It won't shoot with a new Shilen, but it doesn't cost $600 installed. And I wanted to keep the looks of the Pre-64 Fwt., which I did. He stamps the new round designation on the bottom of the barrel, doesn't want to mess up the looks of the factory barrel. Someone shooting a .243 round in mine will get a surprise when he ejects the empty. Doubt that bullet reaches the target.

The Fwt barrel isn't that fat, but there was enough steel to accommodate the .358" bore.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/17/21.