One can either utilize the middle screw as a part of the bedding system or use it to simply hold the front of the trigger guard up. I like to bed at the center screw location but, no matter what you do, there won't be much in the way of bedding surface there. This is one situation where I like to use a metal pillar rather than just casting a glass pillar. I have a couple of Model 70's for which I made aluminum bedding blocks and, on those, I used the center screw as part of the bedding system and could torque it about the same as the rear screw. While this didn't hurt anything, I can't honestly say it helped either. In fact, one of the rifles has three different stocks. One is bedded on the aluminum block. One is bedded in Acraglas at three points. The last is bedded at front and rear only and the middle portion of the receiver was taped for clearance. It shoots about the same in all three stocks and shoots well in all of them. The use of a little insert to screw the front of the guard to is a good system.
The use of a boresighter is a good idea and I'm about half pissed off that I never thought of using it that way. I've used a dial indicator for forty-five years just because that's what we all did back in the day. GD