I don’t know if I’m bloviating or not but I find the comments interesting. My only experience was seeing one grizzly at a distance while hunting in SW Montana and several over a week in AK years ago. We were caribou hunting in west central AK on the tundra and we saw browns every day near the dense creek bottoms; they seemed very indifferent to us even under a 100 yds. That was in my 340 period and with 250-gr. Partitions I felt fine.
But I do think the Mt-Wy-ID grizzlies are truly a different story if anecdotes and stories of the last decades are any measure.. So to begin with, I’m not even a rank amateur in regard to commenting to others on the best defense in a determined charge scenario.

But as I read of these incidents and others’ experiences, it seems bear spray works “a lot of the times.” And handguns have stopped charges and even killed big bears. Even little handguns have. But all of these also have been carried by people who have been mauled and were killed.

It’s a totally different situation for folks like me as opposed to a Phil S. or other pro’s who by experience over many years can “read” these animals and the scenario in real time. I can barely imagine the immediate terror when in that micro-second you realize that 600-800 lb animal is intent on killing you and is not going to give way. I think all would agree many/most here would be in very serious, serious trouble.

Familiarity may not always breed contempt, but even if it breeds a certain laxness among those in bear country by hunting or fishing alone, it seems to be the first handicap already accepted; maybe not for the pro’s mentioned but it would certainly be for me. Does having a partner help ones chances of survival in a charge? Would bear spray even if unholstered, and pointed right, stop the bear above? The emphasis is on “dependably, all the time.” For me the same would be true of a handgun though I could be persuaded to carry one.

Above, I mentioned a tactical type pump 12-ga loaded with slugs — would the sling hang up on a pack or some other obstruction or could it be brought to engagement on time? For me, the scenario in question is not the most-of-the-time, almost casual, moderate range contact of an indifferent bear who turns away. But the all-in bear that is maybe the one in a hundred or even a thousand. No matter how small the number, we all know we will read of it again.

I know the statistical odds of this happening weighs against the practicality of carrying tiresome extra stuff, more weight, etc. I would bend to suggestions of those who recommend bear spray and carry it but if only for a matter of comfort, I’d go the tact 12-ga route. Not than I can say it is better/best because I don’t know that, but with the little I know and the greater I don’t, it would be the most comforting for me.