Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The -60 was the primary weapon for Aeroscout gunners in the OH 6 and we wore more than a few of them out. Carried a spare barrel, used it now and then. Standard ammo load was 1,500 rounds. Standing orders for the gunner were to save the last couple hundred rounds in case we had to walk home. Average fella would be surprised by how much an experienced gunner could accomplish with a very few rounds.

^^^ This ^^^

I fell one target short of qualifying Expert with the M-60 with just a half-belt of ammo. When I picked up my belt off the flat bed trailer the links broke apart mid-ways but was rushed on by cadre with "Move on trainee". Kept shots to minimum rounds possible per target. Last popup target was the farthest, belt was gone, checked and I had just one round left in the chamber. I aimed as I would a rifle but apparently took too long as I shot the timed popup was just starting going down so it wasn't counted as a confirmed hit. Still left me with the max score for Sharpshooter and just 1 shy of minimum score for Expert.