I've used it on small game, turkey and one mule deer doe. I have a Winchester 1892 rifle with 24 inch octagon and a 1892 Saddle ring carbine. Im also shooting it in a Savage 23 bolt action. All are accurate, the Savage and 1892 Rifle are better shooters than my carbine overall.

As Mule Deer said, the 86 grain cast flat point does very well. You can get the bullet from several online sources or cast them yourself. Factory loads are out there but expensive. I also shoot the now discontinued, but still found from time to time, Speer 75 grain jacketed flat point. This was what I took my doe with. Incredibly accurate out of that little Savage, I kept it in the truck for a doe tag. For awhile during the wasting disease years, here in Colorado, I could get 3 tags a year. It allowed me to take my time and wait for the right opportunity. I still plan on getting into some javelina with a 25-20 in the future too.

I got started in cowboy action shooting in my teens, shooting with all my friends that were 30 years older than me. I had been borrowing a Rifle from an uncle, when one of the other guys offered me my 1892 for $400. It's a grayed out ole rat but still shoots. After shooting a bunch of cast bullets the pitting is so bad I use the old outers foul out to cleaning system to electrically pull the fouling out. It's pretty funny when globs of lead come out, but it still shoots well.

Shoot your uncles gun with pleasure, reload for it and you'll never have to worry about ammo. Brass lasts forever if you take care of it. Good luck! Sorry so long, couldn't sleep tonight.