Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by bluefish
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

Is that because the M70 requires a gunsmith and the Tikka is good to go right out of the box?

Pretty sure he's getting at the fact that not many folks customize or build a custom based on a $450 rifle with lots of plastic.

I've owned 5 m70 FWTs. None needed anything out of the box. All shot/shoot MOA with factory ammo.

I know. At the end of the day a rifle is a tool. Many "single task" tools come in a huge variety of both quality and usefulness. I have 2 LH M70s and 1 LH Tikka. The M70s are nice rifles, but I drag synthetic rifles around the woods. Mostly that is because I'm afraid to damage the "pretty" guns. Also, the synthetic and stainless guns tend to shrug off moister and temperature changes better. (Hell, despite having several nice rifles, I tend to carry a RAR more than anything else) Guess I'm more of a "tool user" then a "tool appreciator". Perhaps I should just get over it and put some "character" on the wood guns.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN