John Hann is located a couple hours away and I do his “perfect start” program with my Brittany so I’ll use him to break the dog in.
Everything I read, and Here simply says Drahts are a lot like me both personality wise, and hunting wise...

I never looked at them before because they look like a hairy mess, but now that I know about show shine (waxy de tangle spray that really works well) I’m not worried about having to remove burs anymore.

A good friend has one in Colorado and he loves that dog, another friend here has one - it brought him back a fawn last year !! LOL ... Dang !
My Brittnay has a great nose, but he’s NOT versatile at all... he points rabbits ? And is worthless on waterfowl (he’s also 90% white).
He does weight 55lbs and crashes through things and has good drive but he isn’t quiet as driven as I am so the Drahthaar is definitely going to be a better fit.

In the end I’m a meat hunter - and so are Drahthaars.. smile

I grew up on labs, and Brittanys, tried a Vizsla and liked it but it was too much of a fair weather hunter, and it got spurred by a pheasant and quit wanting to retrieve.
My Britt is 85-90% of what I’d like him to do, I just need a bit more drive, and more aggressive commitment to end it when the bird is down and running.

The thoroughbred thing with labs (all commands & handling) is not what I want.
The thoroughbred pointer thing is great, but it’s not versatile enough and it’s kind of a one trick game.
So a dog with the ability to do both, plus duck that has that - GET ‘EM... drive I do... All good.

Spot