Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by BWalker
Dont shoot them in the meat. Problem solved.

Yep, depends on where one shoots them. In the ribs, not an issue, in the front shoulder, lots of bloodshot meat due to hydrostatic shock.

Just about any expanding bullet ruins even more meat if you shoot them in the rear shoulder....

Here is the truth. Here in the South, we get a very liberal limit on deer. I use several bullets that all work very well. but Remember what Mule deer said.

So, where do you shoot a deer to not get blood shot meat = rear or back of the lungs. Back of the lungs breaks the diaphragm and is a very deadly shot. The Wife and I eat around 6 deer per year, jerky, ground , cube steak are our cuts. The 130g Hornady sp flat base think it is a partition.

Shoulder shots ruin both shoulders, 8" behind the shoulder is a great shot placement, but a guy often has to take a shot on a running or trotting deer when deer are in the rut. For standing shots 200 yds and under, the neck shot in front of the shoulder is a great shot, and we use 4-16 scopes for just these kinds of shots.

I have one old Ruger boat paddle 270 that has killed 150+ deer with the 150g Rem Core loct's factory ammo that belonged to my next door neighbor, and the 150g Core loct bullet is a very tough bullet, 3x9 Leupold compact and 110g ttsx is what it shooting now at 3300fps.