I've had several 4x4s, the last 40+ years. '78 CJ-5 with the 304, '54 CJ-3B, '86 Dodge D100, '91 Dodge diesel, and a '06 Dodge diesel. All of which had their advantages and disadvantages. A couple of years ago, I was looking for something to keep the miles off the '06 Dodge, to run around town and as a local hunting rig.

I ended up buying a cherry '96 Geo Tracker 4 door, 4x4......1.6l 4 cylinder with a manual 5 speed. Same thing as a Suzuki sidekick (ladder truck frame underneath), but with chevy badging. With mud n snows on it, I can't believe how easy it takes the back country. Mud, snow, rocks, steep 2 tracks....doesn't matter. Just plays with everything I've thrown at it. January chukar hunting can be pretty dicey out here. Days that I would normally stay home (with the Dodge diesel) are no problem with the Geo. In comparison, it floats on top, instead of trying to find the bottom. I can also run wash board roads at 35 mph, with the coil springs at all 4 corners. I honestly can say, it will do anything my CJs did, and most things better.

It has an old man emu 2.5" lift, aftermarket off road bumpers, with a tow bar. Off road light bar, and roof rack with extra fuel cans/shovel/ax/high lift jack and a dead arm for game/varmint gambrels for skinning. Sliders on both sides and full skid plates underneath.....and yes, they all have been used for what they were made for. I even put rod holders on the front brush guard, for sturgeon/catfishing.

As a bonus, it gets 22-24 mpg with mud n snows in the winter....in the summer, with street tires, it gets 25-27 mpg. Runs the interstate at 75-80 mph, as long as there's no head wind or hills!

I can "sneak" into coyote country, when I'm calling, and close dogs have no idea I'm in the area. Coyotes showing up at the 1 to 3 minute mark is a lot more common than when I ran the diesel.

I may end up buying another truck someday......but I'll keep the Geo till my last day. It's like an UTV, that is street legal....plus, it has a windshield and heater! License plate reads "BURRO", and it has earned it!

Andy3