Originally Posted by djb
Gtscotty,

Thanks for posting actual info rather than speculating and quipping about hairstyles. I actually had a couple barrels done by Ecco Machine on your recommendation and he does great work.

I did lose ~150 fps with the chop but most of my existing loads are a couple grains below max except the 127 LRX which is now ~2650 with 40.8g of RL17. I have RL15/17/26, H4350, and Hunter to play with. I still want to stick with 130's rather than the heavier bullets and am pretty confident I'll be able to get into a 2700 fps range with these weights. Those are some good #'s, but if I'm reading right, you are loading a little hotter that I am comfortable.

It's hard to shake my reluctance to hunt a mono at much less than 3k (even LRX), so started this thread just to hear some actual field reports. Experimenting is tough right now with 6.5 bullets so hard to come by.

Every body has to draw their own line. While some of the loads in those workups are warm, only a few actually go over published data from Hodgdon, Sierra, and Alliant.

On your actual question, I've only actually shot elk with the 127gr LRX (@375yds) and 140gr Accubond (@140yds). Of those two I'd take the 140gr for what seemed like better wound channel (of course it was a closer shot), but the 142gr ABLR would probably be even better.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 05/30/21.