Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by antlers
Peter had been a fully devoted, lifelong adherent of the Mosaic Law, and even he pointed out that he and all of the other Jews (who had also been fully devoted, lifelong adherents of the Mosaic Law) who were alive at that time, and all of their Jewish forefathers before them (who had also been fully devoted, lifelong adherents of the Mosaic Law), had FAILED to keep the Mosaic Law. He said it was a yoke on their necks that NONE of them had been able to bear. And then he (Peter) clearly said that Jews and non-Jews were saved through the GRACE of the Jesus. Period.

Do proponents of adherence to the Mosaic Law nowadays really think that they are better at, and more capable of, keeping the Law than ALL of those who came before them...including Jesus’ own Apostles themselves...?

The Mosaic covenant was not about salvation. It was a civil covenant. The Abrahamic covenant was and remains the covenant of salvation. The covenants can’t be intermingled. The misunderstanding is probably the biggest impediment to proper understanding of OT text and keeps people from seeing what Christ meant when He said that the law and prophets were about Him.

Abraham believed God & it was imputed ( counted) unto him for righteousness. It's always been by faith. God doesn't change.

Yep. This is what separates traditional Christianity all the way back to Adam and Eve from all other religions and all spin off religions that claim to be Christian. Imputation (and justification).

Speaking for myself I couldn't understand these things until I was born again. Without the Holy spirit my understanding was darkened. Unsaved folks get angry & can't understand scripture, because they lack the Spirit.

Romans 5:1