AR but stick to 223 for a 9yo. You really can't beat the adjustable stock for growing kids. The only down side is the bolt noise when chambering. 6.5G is better for heart/lung shots, even better than .243, but it has a recoil penalty. 6.5G with a suppressor as suggested would be sweet. Is brass from a cold gun fired only once even hot? Never noticed.

I would not do a bolt gun for a kid, ever, if you expect them to run it. She will likely be able to run an AR sooner and more easily than a bolt action. A lever action is a surer bet because of the mechanical advantage of the lever. 130gr 30/30 is good, but that's a handload. 25/35 lever looks good on paper except the price. This is if she has to run it. No real reason for that for several years yet as why on Earth would you give up any chance to go hunting with your kid. You'll be there to do it.

I base this on what I saw with my kids. I bought them both bolt action 22lr. Always has been a hassle running them. They like the 22lrs I have in AR and lever format much better.

For deer, the 9yo boy uses 6.5G AR or lever in 30/30 depending on his mood. Slightly older sister has used 223 AR since she was 9yo and has no interest in anything else. If your girl can do high shoulder shots 100% there really is no reason to stray from .223.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 06/07/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s