Originally Posted by borden811
I recently picked up one of the early wood and polished blue Remington 700 Mountain rifles with the drop floor plate in 280 Remington. It’s in excellent condition, except for a bunch of scratches on the floor plate. Are those available for a decent price anywhere? Also, I’ve read a few places where guys have had better luck getting good groups out of these light weight barrels with heavier 150-160gr bullets, at least in the 280 variant. I realize every gun is different, but is there any truth to that? Lastly, I’m leaning towards a 2.5-8x36, a 3-9x40, or 3.5-10x40 scope, or something similar to keep it on the lighter side. I would prefer to find something with a gloss finish. Any suggestions?

Yeah a floor plate is easily obtained and changed. No truth to the heavier bullet rumor, every rifle has its likes or dislikes. Your scope ide is just right IMHO for that rifle. Overall they are great rifles and I wish they were still producing them! You'll be happy with it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe