Originally Posted by ribka
Sam Montana

" Things were much different in the 1960s for example. Only one parent had to work to provide for a family of 4. Provide plenty of food, a house, a car or two, health insurance, etc. Today, it takes 2 parents to work, and many times multiple jobs just to provide what one job used to, if even that much. Something has gone wrong. Looking back it could have started with Nixon and the high inflation, or it could have started with Reagan and his economic policies".

And in the 1960's, every house had a handful of $1,000 iphones, cable tv, fiber optic internet, air conditioning, expensive hair appointments every 3 weeks, flat screen tv's in 5 rooms of the house, $500 gaming consoles, wardrobes full of clothes that would last a guy for months without ever having to do laundry, multiple cars with every technological gimmick embedded in it to make the driving experience better, etc, etc, etc.

"minimum wage"/"living wage"/"below poverty level" are all dependent on who is deciding what the minimum it takes to live on truly is. 1,000 square foot house or 3,500 square foot house? Indoor plumbing or an outhouse? central heat and air? window unit? screen door and open windows? Many people find it hard to believe, that some of the things we use daily in life are really just 'wants' and not 'needs'. I'm just glad I am in the position to have many of my wants taken care of. Got that white privilege thing going for me ya know? smile