Originally Posted by K1500
They are already cracking down big time on deletes. I’ve heard $10,000 fines for the owner of the deleted truck, plus the shop that did it gets hit hard. It can also be hard to sell or trade a deleted truck to some dealers. I have also heard they are inspecting folks who get pulled over with a portable DEF tailpipe ‘sniffer’ to ensure the truck has a functioning SCR system. I don’t have any firsthand proof of this but was told this by someone in the diesel industry.

I just got rid of my 2011 LML with about 145,000 on it, and I kind of feel like I dodged a bullet. It was a pulling fool and truly a great truck, but there were a bunch of diesel problems that had (or could) occur. It needed an EGR cooler bypass valve, which requires removing the transmission to get to. Easily a $2,000 job. It also had a coolant leak at the oil cooler, which requires removing the front diff to get to. A $1,000 job. The DPF was near the end of its projected lifespan. That’s a $2,800 part alone. It also has the dreaded CP4 pump that may (or may not) grenade to the tune of $10.000. It already had the entire DEF delivery and sensor system replaced under warranty several years ago, so that had some age and miles on it.

I’m willing to bet that it will cost the next owner more per mile with less reliability than it cost me. For the trailers I tow I couldn’t justify the headache of the diesel, so I went with a 6.6 liter gasser. Time will tell if it is as good as my old truck was, but you could buy a new crate gas engine for the repair cost of some of the diesel problems.

Sounds like any truck will be better than your last truck. If you only put145k miles on a 2011 diesel truck chances are it was more of a want than a need.
A Ford V10 gas engine or GM 8.1 in a pickup was pretty much a bullet proof set up.

Life is good live it while you can.