Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Assuming you actually have had "dozens upon dozens" of a product with nary a defect, and somehow had the time to use each of them more than a little, your experience still does not relate. The only way you'd know if Dawn compromised Zeiss coatings is if you'd used it and had a problem. If you have not, then you're trying to make a false correlation between cleaning methods and coating integrity.

"FALSE correlations"??? Are you kidding me? You are the only one here making false claims -- things you cannot substantiate at all. And yea, while I do not recommend it, I have used Dawn on a scope a few years ago. A member here advertised a Zeiss 2.5-10 in "as new" condition. When it arrived, I saw the most pitiful thing one could imagine. The lenses were so gunked over that I could not loosen the dirt and grime from that "as new" scope via my normal methods. So I ran it under warm water and made some progress and then used dish soap along with the warm water. It finally worked -- and I kept and that scope for several years without the slightest of hiccups.Despite all that grime, the lenses beneath it were actually pristine. But I just can't imagine someone having a nice scope in THAT sort of condition.

I know people that have used acetone to clean lenses. That is not something I would do but it did not harm the lense , I always run binos under tap water first and then clean them with alcohol .