Gripping the forend of my 338Fed Montana is how I ended up taking that rifle from snappy to pleasant.

Time of year and weather is big too. Much more comfortable shooting with a jacket than with a t-shirt.

Gain weight…. I’m a rail…. But I’m 45 pounds heavier than when I shipped off to MCRD San Diego in 2004. I got sick in boot camp like everyone else and dipped down below minimum weight standards during that first couple of weeks. Now I look back on it and can’t imagine myself with 50 pounds less on my frame.

Posture. Being upright on the bench is much better than being hunched over.

Wear good hearing protection.

Shoot big stuff. I hunt doves with a 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth pin gun with a plastic buttplate. My friends think I’m crazy, but I smack doves with it and don’t care about the recoil.

Shoot little stuff. Have a 223 Montana to go with my 338 Fed. They often go to the range together.

Recently got into reduced loads. I’ve found that getting comfortable with the rifle before it goes off with full loads has helped.

At this point in my life I’m looking for something bigger, and even though I’m still a youngster to most of you, I’ve never been a fan of hard kicking rifles. Now I’m starting to like it.