Originally Posted by rbutcher
yeah, that's a good load. My 14.5 308 is 2.5 mil at 400m, but that was with a lighter bullet going faster.

The whole genesis of my thought process here is my 14.5 308 is outperformed by a 6.5 at every range from an external ballistics perspective, and the 308 isn't reaching some magical level of terminal bullet performance at close range that the 6.5 is not. Dead is dead, and bullets only need above certain velocities to work. Something shot at the range where 308 brings more energy than 6.5 creedmoor is not going to know the difference between the two, and the 6.5 starts to pull away the further you get.

I know that I am not a wind-reading master, (yet) and I have been investigating higher BC bullets driven fast as a way to stack the odds in my favor. Why leave mechanical advantage on the table? If given a choice between two loads that both delivered a bullet at a velocity above its performance threshold, then the one that was more efficient should be the choice. I grant that caliber selection should be a holistic process, and what works for someone's situation may not work for someone else. I also grant that I may be too caught up in the theory on this.

I'm sure there is a niche military use for shorter 308s, but for us this may all be academic. It's certainly more important to get out there and get hunting instead of sitting at home. I know for the ranges I tend to take game, this is all a meaningless comparison at the end of the day. But greater performance at range, with a larger margin for error on wind calls, for less recoil all seems like a pretty nice advantage.

Well said, so why are you dragging your feet?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA