Originally Posted by VaHunter
The only thing I did not like about my Talkeetna was the 24" barrel. I think 21" or 22" to be a more user friendly length for the purposes the 375 H&H is typically used, although my hunting experience with the 375 is very limited.

I did not find the recoil of the Talkeetna any different from the Winchester 70 classic stainless I had, and the Winchester had a McMillan stock that was fairly light weight.

While I haven’t hunted Alaska, I’ve hunted some fairly thick stuff here in Wyoming and haven’t found my 24” barrel to be a great handicap.

Another plus going to the Talkeetna is the forward sling swivel is on the barrel rather than the stock. This offers two potential advantages: when the rifle is shouldered, while that should be rare, the muzzle is considerably lower when in overhanging limbs/brush! It also prevents the front swivel from contacting your hand during recoil, should the stock slip because of a poor grip, or a wet slick stock!

A small item.....but, something to consider!

If kept as an H&H, not an improved H&H.....recoil should be a minor issue. Nine pounds or less ( hunting weight) with the improved versions, it is a bit aggressive when shot from the bench! But, certainly not brutal! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/27/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024